Getting Financial Assistance

help button


Your loved one may qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits, a program that pays monthly benefits to people who are unable to work due to a medical condition if they meet the requirements to qualify. BIAF's Resource Facilitators are trained and experienced in helping individuals with brain injury and their families to navigate the system and fill out associated paperwork.

According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), you should apply for disability benefits as soon as possible after you become disabled. It can take as long as three to five months to process your application. The quickest way to apply is online. You can use the online application to apply for benefits if you:

  • are age 18 or older
  • have worked and paid Social Security taxes long enough to qualify
  • have a medical condition that has prevented you from working or is expected to prevent you from working for at least 12 months or end in death; and
  • reside in the United States or one of its territories/commonwealths

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work and meet the following criteria:

  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • They decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death

Here is more information on How SSA decides if you are disabled and Family Benefits.

Use this checklist to gather the information you will need in order to complete a Disability Benefits Application and the Disability Report.

You will also need to fill out, sign and mail, or take to your local Social Security office an Authorization to Disclose Iinformation to the Social Security Administration (pdf).

Find your regional Social Security office by zip code.

Depending upon your income and resources, you may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if you are age 65 or older, blind or disabled.

Visit Social Security Online or call (800) 772-1213. TTY Number: (800) 325-0778.

You may also qualify to receive


More Resources for Financial Assistance in Florida:

Florida Department of Children & Families ACCESS Apply here for temporary assistance with food, Medicaid information and cash

US Department of Housing and Urban Develoopment Find out about HUD/s Public Housing Program, established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. Also see Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Run by the US Dept. of Health and Human Services to help low income households in meeting immediate home energy needs.

Download the Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology's (FAAST) 52-page general self help resource guide designed to provide basic tools to find sound financial resource information.

Was This Information Helpful?

Yes     No